Saturday 12 July 2014

My Journey with Mt Elizabeth Novena

It's been nearly a year of relationship with Mt Elizabeth Novena and it has been a fruitful journey.

Gynae, Dr Roland Chieng
My gynae, Dr Roland Chieng has been most helpful and is a cautious doctor who had advised me well thru the conception of my baby till post delivery. I delivered at full term, 40 weeks + 2days and Dr Chieng has given his full support for natural birth with induction and offering me C-sect if I'm feeling weak from the labour. I'm glad that I had listened to him to wait for another hour after enduring for 15 hrs as my dear boy was welcomed by Dr Chieng thru natural delivery with epidural at the 16th hour! My wound has healed well due to his care and his concern not only covers the physical pain suffered but the emotional well-being of a new mother. I'm grateful for the support rendered...


Delivery at Mt Elizabeth Novena
At the labour ward from 5pm to 10am, the midwives were experienced and had been most helpful in taking care of me. They would check on me from time to time, changing my position every few hours so that i would not be feeling numb from lying in the same position etc. They had assured me that they will guide me when its time to push and i really managed to do it under their instructions! The only thing was to make sure your level of epidural shld maintain at 7 and not any lower if you choose to lower the level of epidural (here's the smart one who requested and the nurse lowered it to level 3..its OMG painful!)

The maternity ward is superb, with butler service and the nurses are attentive. As it is relatively new, the environment was quiet and was best suited for mothers to rest well. The nurses are friendly and they will introduce themselves at the start of each shift. The nurse will appear in about 5 mins each time i call for help. I love the identification tagging whereby a melody will be played whenever the baby is carried to the mother or placed in the bassinet to ensure the right baby is being brought. Here are some photos taken, pardon my poor photography skills which did no justice to the actual rooms/food provided:






The toiletries were from Crabtree and Evelyn and both my hubby and I enjoyed our bathtime. The food menu changes daily and they do provide confinement food for the mother. Overall taste rating: 8/10. Cleanliness of the room :10/10 as daily room cleaning and changing of the sheets are provided.

The lactation consultant is on the move, do call for her if you need help as its chargeable once you are discharged. We also attended the free parenting class to guide us in bathing the baby etc. There's also a free massage from Beauty, Mums & Babies and a masseur will visit ward by ward during your stay.

With all that said, Mt E Novena is not one of the cheapest hospitals in town...my takeaway is you paid for the quality of service and stay. On a side note, my total bill came up to nearly $10k, before medisave, for a 5D4N stay (additional 2 nites for other reasons). You can check out my comparison of prices here.

After service
Good - You will enjoy the hotel standards' of "bell-boy service" whereby there were staff to help you with the bags of stuff to be carried home after days of stay! The discharge was fast and so was the billing, get a number and you will be served with the bill when its your turn.

Bad- I had lodged a case with the Business Office to clarify some items on the billing and took them more than 1 month to close the case!



2 comments: